Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation Ltd (ACN 099 895 440)
About this policy
You can find out more about the Australian Privacy Principles by calling the Office of the Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or through their website at www.oaic.gov.au
The Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation is committed to protecting your privacy and we are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act.
We collect, store and use some of your personal information so we can help people touched by cancer. Only authorised staff have access to your personal information: it remains confidential and is only used for appropriate purposes and in accordance with this Policy.
Unless you give us consent to do otherwise, we will only collect and use your personal information as set out in this document.
The types of personal information we may collect
The kind of personal information we collect and store depends on the type of initiatives you support or enquire about. Personal information collected by Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation (Foundation) may include:
- Your identification and contact information – name, address, email address, phone number, mobile phone number
- Your date of birth, gender, income, occupation
- Your donation and payment details
- Where relevant, your employer details (for example, if you participate in workplace giving)
- A history of your transactions, correspondences and interactions with Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation
- If relevant, details about your personal interests
Please note, if you choose not to provide us with certain personal information, we may not be able to process your donation or provide the information you request. Of course, you always have the right to request us to remove your details from our database or reduce the volume of correspondence you receive from the Foundation.
How we collect information
There are a number of ways we collect information from you. These include:
- Directly from you when you provide information by phone, in person, via our website, or response forms
- From our own records of your transactions and interaction with Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation
- From publicly available sources of information
- From third parties who organise fundraising activities on our behalf. We ensure that these parties are also bound by the Australian Privacy Principles.
- From a third party known to you who makes a donation and nominates you as the recipient of communication regarding that donation
- In forms or coupons filled out either online or in hard copy
- Face to face or when you speak with us directly
- Via email
- Via online surveys
- Via social media messages or conversations
- In voice or image recordings
The Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation may occasionally collect basic contact details (name, address, email address, phone numbers, date of birth, gender) from Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre patients who provide their consent through individual patient admission forms.
The Foundation does not deal directly with health or sensitive information. Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre has strict policies in place to protect the privacy of patient information (both personal and health related), which meet the requirements of applicable privacy legislation. Therefore, confidentiality of health information is assured.
Children’s Personal Information
We recognise the particular importance of protecting privacy where children are involved. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16.
We do not knowingly send promotional materials to a child under the age of 16 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian.
How we use your information
Your personal information may be used:
- For the immediate reason for which you have given it: for example, to enable us to process your request (e.g. gift, payment, registration, subscription, change of details) including issuing you with a donation receipt
- To maintain contact with you about our work: report back to you about our work in cancer research, encourage you to learn about and act on supporting the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, or let you know about other opportunities to give financially or what our partner organisations are doing (unless you have specifically asked us not to)
- To confirm your identity when you make enquiries about your donation
- To address any feedback or complaints you may have and to answer your queries
- For any other purpose related to our work
It may also be used for:
- Any purposes for which the information was requested
- Purposes directly related to the above purposes
Although your information can be used for purposes directly related to the purpose for which it was collected, it will not be used for any purpose which you would not reasonably expect.
We do not disclose your personal information to other organisations except for our core business purposes; and most importantly, we don’t rent or sell your personal information.
However, to help reach more generous supporters like yourself, occasionally we may collaborate with other charitable organisations on mailings with information that we believe may be of interest to you. These organisations usually allow us to do the same, and by collaborating like this we can reach more people with vital charitable information. We always ensure that these third parties are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles.
Also, to reduce operating and administrative costs we may securely transfer data to organisations located outside of Australia to produce printed material and electronic communications. These organisations must also comply with, and not breach, the Australian Privacy Principles and are bound by tight agreements which protect your privacy.
If you wish to reduce such mailings please call, email or write to us at the address listed at the end of this Policy.
When we disclose personal information
In order to communicate with you in relation to our activities, we may disclose your personal information to external organisations to help facilitate our correspondence and fundraising activities with you.
We care for, and value the security of your personal information. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure any external organisations we use are contractually bound to privacy and confidentiality obligations in relation to your personal information and that the information is only used for the specific purpose for which we disclose it. These organisations are also bound to adhere to the privacy requirements under the relevant legislation and are bound to destroy or de-identify information after using it for a specific activity.
To whom we may disclose your information
In addition to the external organisations which help facilitate our correspondence and fundraising activities with you, we may disclose your personal information to:
- An authorised legal representative nominated by you
- Our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- Government authorities if legally required to do so
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre staff in very limited circumstances
How long do we keep your information?
We will keep and use your information after you have provided a donation or interacted in some other way with Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation. How long we hold and use the information after you have ceased donating or interacting with us will depend on the type of interaction you had with Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation and any requirements under law.
It is also our policy to:
- Permanently de-identify personal information where reasonable and possible
- Destroy personal information once there is no longer a legal or business need for us to retain it
Disclosing your personal and/or sensitive information overseas
Occasionally, we may use overseas facilities or contractors to process or back up information or to otherwise assist with our service provision.
As a result, we may disclose your personal and/or sensitive information to our overseas facilities or contractors for these purposes.
However, any disclosure of your personal and/or sensitive information overseas does not change our commitment to safeguarding your privacy.
We take reasonable steps to:
- ensure that overseas service providers are subject to privacy laws which impose obligations which are substantially similar to those contained in the Privacy Act; and
- ensure the security of personal and sensitive information that is disclosed overseas, and to protect it against loss, misuse or unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure.
Privacy and the internet
Protecting information provided via the Internet
Our site uses security encrypted response forms when personal and financial details are requested. These forms are subject to compliance requirements with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS) as well as the privacy principles.
However, it should be noted that no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so we cannot give an absolute assurance that the information you provide to us over the internet will be secure at all times until it is received into our database. Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation cannot be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to your personal information via the web.
Links to other websites
We may provide links to websites outside of the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation service. These linked sites are not under the control of Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation, and we are not responsible for the conduct of companies linked to our website. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we advise you to examine the Terms and Conditions of those websites.
Online advertising and tracking
We use third-party tracking cookies and similar technologies to collect and use data about user activities on our sites. The third-party vendors, such as Facebook and Google, whose services we use place these cookies and similar technologies on web browsers in order to help us tailor advertising that we think may be of interest to users based on past visits to our site.
As always we respect your privacy and are not collecting any identifiable information through these services. Cookies and similar technologies do not in any way give access to your computer.
Storage and security of your personal information
Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information which we hold about you (whether electronic or in hard copy), and to keep this information accurate and up to date. This includes complying with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, which covers security of payment card information. Therefore, your information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities. We require our employees and data processors to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us and that they abide by our confidentiality policy and procedures.
Right of access to your information
If at any time you want to know exactly what personal information we hold about you, you are welcome to access your record by contacting us at the address below. Our file of your personal information will be made available to you within 30 days, unless an exception applies under the Privacy Act, for example if providing the access would be contrary to law.
You have a right of access to the personal information that the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation holds about you, unless an exception applies under the Privacy Act. Requests for right of access should be addressed to the Foundation Privacy Officer (please note that a $20 fee may apply on the delivery of your information in order to cover administrative costs).
Enquiries, feedback or complaints
If you believe that information we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, or if you have concerns about how we are handling your personal information (including requesting to reduce or opt out of future communications), please contact us and we will seek to resolve those concerns.
If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to delete it unless we need to keep it for legal, auditing or internal risk management reasons.
- Email a request to email@example.com
- Call our Team on 1800 111 440
- Mail a request to:
Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation
Locked Bag 5
A’Beckett Street VIC 8006
Changes to this privacy statement
We may make changes to this policy from time to time without notice. Any changes will be reflected on this page.
Policy reviewed and approved by the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation Ltd Board of Directors on 25 May 2022
Next review May 2023